Memorable Manitobans: George Henry Harris (1870-1954)
Born at Allenford, Ontario on 7 January 1870, son of James and Eliza Harris, he attended the Northern Business College of Owen Sound, he left Ontario at the age of 22 and moved to Brandon where he found work as a bookkeeper with the fuel and transfer business of McIlvride and Lane. He spent a year there then worked in a similar capacity for the lumber merchants Hanbury and McNea, then the fuel and grain merchants Sinclair and Company, then the lumber business of Hughes-Atkinson Company. He resigned as Assistant Manager from the latter firm after working there for 15 years, taking up a 160-acre homestead near Fairlight, Saskatchewan. He purchased an additional 160 acres and built a home, barns and outbuildings. He eventually rented out the farm and returned to Brandon where he was accountant for Manitoba Engines Limited.
On 8 October 1891, he married Margaret Jane Speers (1871-1919) and they had six children: Frances E. Harris, James K. Harris, Hibbert Alden Harris, G. E. Meldrum Harris, and Evelyn Marie Harris, several of whom died during childhood and were buried in the Brandon Cemetery. The family lived at 338 Louise Avenue. He was a member of the Brandon Board of Trade, IOOF, Canadian Order of Foresters, and First Methodist Church.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Neil Campbell dead,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 May 1916, page 5.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 July 2019
Back to top of page