Memorable Manitobans: Harold Stuart Hanson (1891-1984)
Born at Deloraine on 15 October 1891, son of Robert Stanley Hanson and Edith Amelia Southon, he was educated at Deloraine School and Winnipeg. During the First World War, he served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, being awarded the Military Cross and Distinguished Service Order and being mentioned in dispatches. Returning from military duty, he was an accountant with the Winnipeg accounting firm of Macintosh, Cole & Robertson and was made a partner in 1921. He purchase the firm in 1926 and it operated as Black, Hanson & Company until 1948 when it amalgamated with Clarkson, Gordon & Company. During the Second World War, he was inducted into the Order of the British Empire for his voluntary service with the Veterans Guard of Canada. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, United Service Club, St. Charles Country Club, and Anglican church. In 1925, he lived at 508 Stradbrook Avenue, Winnipeg. In 1931, he married Priscilla McBride and they had two daughters. He died at Winnipeg on 9 January 1984.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 12 January 1984, page 45.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 September 2016
Back to top of page