Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Fleming (1841-1897)
Born in Lanark, Scotland, he was educated at the Glasgow University of Medicine and at Harvard. In 1863 he came with his family to Fredericton, New Brunswick, and practised medicine at Sackville for ten years. In 1881 he brought his family to Brandon, Manitoba and was Brandon’s first medical doctor and pharmacist. He was chairman of the Brandon School Board, in 1881, President of the Manitoba and Northwest Farmers’ Union, a member of the original Provisional Board of Management of the Brandon General Hospital, in 1883, and became a member of its staff when the hospital opened in 1891. John W. Fleming was his son. He died at Brandon on 26 November 1897 and was buried in Brandon Cemetery. He is commemorated by Brandon’s Fleming School.
“Dr. Fleming dead,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 November 1897, page 2.
Pioneers and Early Citizens of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Library Association, 1971.
We thank Chris Macdonald for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2014
Back to top of page