Memorable Manitobans: Humphry Ringler Drummond-Hay (1886-1965)
Born at Belmont on 7 June 1886, son of Charles Drummond-Hay (1856-1926) and Alena Cropley (1868-1952), he was educated at Tuckwell’s School (Winnipeg). He studied law at the firm of Campbell, Pitblado and Company and stayed with it for the rest of his career, being made a King’s Counsel in 1939. He specialized in company and mining law and syndicates. He was President of Island Lake Mines Limited and Fifty-three Syndicate Limited, Vice-President of God’s Lake Gold Mines Limited, and Vice-President and Director of The Sydney E. Junkins Company. He was a Director of the Great West Saddlery Company, Richelieu Gold Mines Limited, Wingold Mines Limited, Direct Oil Refineries Limited, Direct Oil Service Limited, and Motor Oils Limited.
On 17 August 1912, he married May Katherine Bury (1892-1955, daughter of George J. Bury) and they had two sons, Athol Bury Drummond-Hay (1913-1988) and George Thomson Drummond-Hay (1916-?). He was founding President of the Caledonians for the years 1922 to 1923. He was a member of the Manitoba Club (President, 1935-1936), St. Charles Country Club, Winnipeg Winter Club, Jockey Club, Winnipeg Squash & Racket Club, and Winnipeg Tennis Club. He was an Anglican. He lived at 156 Roslyn Road, Winnipeg.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Remains will he brought to city for burial,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 January 1926, page 5.
“Seven get K.C. honor,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1939, page 1.
Learned Friends, Reiminiscences - Pitblado & Hoskin 1882-1974 by Anna Tillenius.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Men of Winnipeg in Diamond Jubilee Sketches,” Winnipeg Free Press, December 1934. [Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 8, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections]
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1965, page 38.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 July 2020