Memorable Manitobans: Elizabeth Mary Crowe (1856-1918)
Born at Clifton, Nova Scotia on 31 March 1856, daughter of John Holmes and Mary Tupper Alexander, sister of A. B. Alexander, she was educated at public schools. In 1875, she married grain merchant G. R. Crowe. They had a son and two daughters. The family came to Manitoba in 1881 where she became active in community and philanthropic work. She served as Vice-President for Manitoba of the YWCA Dominion Council, President of the Winnipeg YWCA, President of the Westminster Presbyterian Church Ladies’ Society, President and Secretary of the Women’s Missionary Society, and President of the Women’s Canadian Club of Winnipeg. She was a member of the Women’s Musical Club, Daughters of the Empire, and the Victorian Order of Nurses.
She died at her Winnipeg home, 89 Eastgate, on 6 November 1918. She is commemorated by the E. M. Crowe Memorial Hospital in Eriksdale, Manitoba which opened in 1926.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
“Mrs. George R. Crowe”, Manitoba Free Press, 7 November 1918, page 5.
“United Church opens hospital; Institution in Eriksdale, Man., donated by Westminster Ladies’ Society”, Manitoba Free Press, 15 May 1926, page 35.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 May 2010
Back to top of page