Memorable Manitobans: Harold Chambers Collins (1905-1949)
Born at Kincardine, Ontario on 23 April 1905, son of Foster Collins and May Bennett, he came to Manitoba with his parents in 1917. The family settled in McAuley where he attended Rutherglen Consolidated School. He served in the RCMP for two years before continuing his education at the University of Manitoba, followed by the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Toronto. After receiving a bachelor degree in veterinary science in 1941, he worked at veterinary hospitals at Detroit and Los Angeles. In May 1941, he was hired as a field biologist with the Manitoba Department of Mines and Natural Resources. His spent two years in the Summerberry marshes downriver of The Pas studying the diseases of muskrats. In June 1946, he succeeded Dr. R. J. Kirk as superintendent of the government’s Fur and Game Experimental Station at the University of Manitoba campus in Fort Garry, in which capacity he helped to establish the Manitoba Fox and Mink Show. He suffered a heart attack and died at the Winnipeg General Hospital on 16 April 1949. He was buried in the Brookside Cemetery.
Ontario birth registration, Ancestry.
“Dr. H. C. Collins heads provincial fur station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 June 1946, page 11.
“Dr. H. C. Collins, game, fur station supervisor, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 April 1949, page 22.
Cedars of Lebanon by Laela Ateah-Lester, Winnipeg: Columbia Press Limited, 1951. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Rbc CT 2 Les]
Page revised: 31 January 2017
Back to top of page