Memorable Manitobans: John Cameron (c1850-1878)
Born around 1850, son of Alexander and Mary Cameron, he attended the University of Toronto and was Vice-President of a literacy and scientific society there. Upon graduation with a Bachelor of Arts degree (Honours), he accepted the position as first Principal of the Central School (1876-1878) in Winnipeg. He announced his retirement in December 1877 and stepped down in January 1878. A celebration of his service was held on 31 January 1878, at which he was gifted an inscribed Waltham watch. He took up the study of law and began articling for the firm of Walker and Biggs. Weeks later, he came down with an illness. He died, unmarried, at the residence of Walter Laidlaw on 11 April 1878 and was buried in the Kildonan Cemetery.
“The central school being thoroughly repaired [...],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 13 June 1876, page 3.
“Winnipeg public schools,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 23 December 1876, page 2.
“The School Board,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 21 February 1877, page 3.
“Winnipeg public schools,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 1 February 1878, page 1.
Death notice, Manitoba Daily Free Press, 11 April 1878, page 1.
Obituary, Manitoba Daily Free Press, 11 April 1878, page 1.
Winnipeg estate file #121, John Cameron, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 5 October 2016