Memorable Manitobans: William David “Bill” Bowman (1925-2011)
Born at Winnipeg on 24 May 1925, son Dr. Maxwell Bowman and Marjorie Bowman, he received a medical degree from the University of Manitoba in 1949. Following a rotating internship in 1948-1949 he spent two years in pediatric residency at the Winnipeg Children’s Hospital and a third year as a fellow in pathology. In 1952 he was granted a Nuffield travelling fellowship and spent two years in the United Kingdom at Newcastle upon Tyne in the pediatric department of Sir James Spence.
He returned to Winnipeg in May 1954 and joined Dr. Harry Medovy in pediatric practice. To distinguish himself from his identical twin brother J. M. “Jack” Bowman (a pediatrician in the same clinic), he always wore a bow tie while his brother wore a regular tie. Consequently, he became known as “Bow Tie Bill.” In 1955 he established the Department of Pediatrics at the Manitoba Clinic where he practiced until his retirement in 1998. He was also a member of the active medical staff of the Children’s Hospital and the Grace General Hospital. He served for several years as President of the medical staff in both hospitals. He was also active in pediatric teaching at the University of Manitoba, from which he retired in 1990.
He served on the Board of Directors of the Manitoba Medical Services Foundation from 1971 until his death. He was a member of the Board of Directors of Manitoba Blue Cross from 1975 to 1999 and was Chairman of that Board from 1979 to 1986. In 1964 he was made a Fellow of the Canadian Royal College of Physicians. In 1995 he received the Dr. Leighton N. Young Distinguished Pediatrician Award.
He died at Winnipeg on 2 March 2011.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 4 March 2011.
We thank Susan Bracken for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 February 2014
Back to top of page