Memorable Manitobans: James Anderson (1847-?)
Born at Lanarkshire, Scotland on 7 December 1847, son of Hugh Anderson and Elizabeth Brown, in 1860 the Anderson family sailed to Canada and settled near Lucknow, Huron County, Ontario. Anderson came to Manitoba in 1877 and worked on construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Later, he bought a yoke of steers and a wagon, and after a journey of a week homesteaded near Plumas in 1877. Over the years, he purchased farm land and property, and served on the Council of the Rural Municipality of Westbourne for 38 years. On resigning in 1924 he was presented with an address and a chain and locket by the members of the council.
He was Postmaster of Plumas for 12 years. In the early days, the office was known as Richmond. However, as there were several offices by that name, confusion ensued in the delivery of mail. Anderson, who had lived in California in his youth, suggested renaming the office “Plumas” for the Spanish name for California. He was a board member of the Plumas Agricultural Society and was an Orangeman. He was known locally as “The Mayor of Plumas.”
He married Mrs. Elizabeth Stackhouse, widow of John Stackhouse.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 February 2015
Back to top of page