Memorable Manitobans: Archibald Gordon Sinclair (1875-1959)
Born at Fort Victoria, North West Territories (now Alberta) on 31 December 1875, son of Reverend Robert G. Sinclair and Jennie Macdougall, he was educated at the University of Toronto and Knox College (Toronto) then did post-graduate work at Edinburgh University in Scotland. Ordained a Presbyterian cleric, his first church posting was at Port Hope, Ontario in 1899, where he worked for four years.
He spent over three years abroad in study at London, Berlin, and Heidelburg, receiving a PhD from the University of Heidelburg in 1906. He then went to Dawson City, Yukon Territory in 1908 as pastor of St. Andrew’s Church. The following year, he came to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Winnipeg and worked there until 1918. He spent some time at a Presbyterian church at Toronto before moving to Bloomfield, New Jersey where he stayed until retirement in 1942. He retired to Gulport, Florida.
In 1909, he married Margaret Jessie Whitelaw of Kirkintilloch, Scotland at Dawson City. In 1911, they lived at 429 Elgin Avenue, Winnipeg. They had five daughters: Helen Sinclair, Margaret “Peggy” Sinclair, Jean Sinclair, Mary Evelyn Sinclair, and Phyllis Sinclair. He amassed a large collection of antique oil lamps, started during a 1929 visit to the Middle East sponsored by his congregation.
He died at Gulport, Florida on 16 April 1959 and was buried there.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
“Rev. A. G. Sinclair, ex-Winnipegger, dies in Florida,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 April 1959, page 7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 April 2015
Back to top of page