Memorable Manitobans: Henry Edward Sharpe (1841-1909)
Born in Lobo Township, Ontario on 27 July 1841, he worked as in the grocery business at London, Ontario before becoming a partner in the oil refining firm of Leonard & Sharpe. He also sold insurance. In 1881, he was appointed the western manager of the Imperial Oil Company based at Winnipeg, responsible for the company’s interests between the Great Lakes and the Pacific Ocean. He represented the firm until his death. He and wife Mary Jane Rolston (1846-1922) had seven children: Frederick J. Sharpe, Eliphalet E. Sharpe, Jessie E. Sharpe (1871-?), Richard C. Sharpe (1873-?), Dr. Charles Tilley Sharpe (1874-1950), Terrance B. Sharpe (1877-?), and Gertrude B. Sharpe (1878-?). He served as a Director of the YMCA, treasurer and later President of the Western Canada Baptist convention, and was a deacon of the First Baptist Church of Winnipeg. In 1909, due to poor health, Sharpe sold his home and all its furniture, and planned to move to southern California. A sudden relapse forced him to stay in Winnipeg where he died on 17 October 1909. He was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Death summons Henry Ed. Sharpe,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 October 1909, page 10.
“Dr. T. C. Sharpe dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 October 1950, page 18.
Henry E. Sharpe House (56 Balmoral Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1990.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2018
Back to top of page