Memorable Manitobans: Ephraim George Patterson (1846-1925)
Lawyer, civil servant.
Born at Perth, Ontario on 20 April 1846, son of James and B. Jane Patterson, he was educated at the University of Toronto. He served in the Fenian Raid (and wounded at Ridgway, Ontario) in 1866. He taught school in Hamilton for several years before studying law. He was called to the Ontario Bar and began practicing at Hamilton in 1876. He came to Manitoba in 1882 and practiced law with the firms of Patterson and Baker, then Aikins, Culver and Company, Aikins, Patterson and McCleneghan, and finally Patterson and Howard.
He was Official Administrator for Manitoba from 1891 to 1898, then Deputy Attorney-General from 1898, serving until being appointed referee and master of the Court of King’s Bench. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1909. He served as editor of the Manitoba Law Reports from 1892, and a member of the Winnipeg School Board for several years.
In 1870, he married Annie Gertrude Baker (1851-1897) of Hamilton, Ontario, daughter of Hugh Cossart Baker. They had four children: Amy W. Patterson (wife of H. S. Edwards), Harold Patterson, Winnifred Patterson, and Gordon Patterson. After his wife’s death, he married Viola Geddes (1877-1947) at Niagara-on-Lake, Ontario in 1908. They had one son, George Geddes Patterson (1909-1973). Patterson was a member of the Manitoba Club, Canadian Club of Winnipeg, Winnipeg Chess Club, Winnipeg Lawn Bowling Club, and the Anglican Church. His recreations included canoeing and skating.
He died at Winnipeg on 23 August 1925. At the time of his death, he lived at 162 Lilac Street.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“George Patterson, K.C. dies Sunday, aged 79,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 August 1925, page 1.
We thank Bruce Varcoe for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 April 2014
Back to top of page