Memorable Manitobans: John Parton (1878-1962)
Born at Wednesbury, England on 22 November 1878, he came to Winnipeg in 1907 to escape a long apprenticeship and began working as an auditor. He eventually joined the accounting firm of Webb, Read and Hegan, becoming a qualified chartered accountant in 1909. Two years later, he was appointed partner and, when the firm amalgamated with George A. Touche and Company in 1919, he was named a local partner and later a general partner. During his professional career, he served as chairman of the committee on terminology, helping to create a dictionary of terms for accountants. He was a member of the council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants for 35 years, serving as its President in 1916. He was also President of the Dominion Association of Chartered Accountants in 1919.
He and wife Elizabeth Jane Smith (1879-1937) had five children: John Francis Parton (1906-1915), May Parton (b 1911), Eileen Parton (b 1911), Elizabeth Rae Parton (b 1916), and Kenneth Sutton Parton (b 1921). A supporter of the arts, he was Director and President of the Winnipeg Art Gallery as well as an advocate for theatre in Winnipeg. In 1916, he formed a quartet with co-workers later joining the Men’s Musical Club.
He died at his Winnipeg home, 232 Academy Road, on 21 May 1962.
Birth and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 24 May 1962, page 30.
We thank John Parton for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 29 December 2012
Back to top of page