Memorable Manitobans: William James MacLeod (1914-2008)
Born in Winnipeg on 13 October 1914, he joined the active armed services in September 1939 and served in Britain and northwestern Europe during the Second World War with the First Battalion Queens Own Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg. He became the Pipe Major of the First Battalion regimental pipe band until his return to civilian life in 1946. During his overseas service, he received training at the famous Army School of Piping at Edinburgh Castle under Pipe Major William Ross.
Returning from Europe, he lived briefly in Winnipeg while employed with the Winnipeg Electric Company and Trans-Canada Airlines, then moved to Pine Falls in April 1947 to work in the electrical department at the Abitibi paper mill. He retired from there in 1979.
He instructed at and later became the Principal of the Saskatchewan Summer School of the Arts piping program in Fort Qu’appelle, Saskatchewan, as well as instructing at the International Music Camp Summer School of the Arts at the International Peace Gardens on the Manitoba / North Dakota border. He also served as the President of the Prairie Pipe Band Association. He received the Manitoba Good Citizenship Award (1979) and was inducted into the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt (1991).
He died at Winnipeg on 22 June 2008.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 28 June 2008.
“Manitobans’ Legacy a Better Province,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 January 2009, page B2.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 March 2016
Back to top of page