Memorable Manitobans: Cornelius Huebert (c1905-1973)
Businessman, municipal official.
Born in Russia around 1905, he settled in North Kildonan in 1929 and started C. Huebert Feed and Fuel from his home at 283 Oakland Avenue. In 1943, it became C. Huebert Limited, a lumber, building supplies and fuel business at 5 Point Douglas Road. He was elected to the council of the Rural Municipality of North Kildonan in 1943 and served as Reeve from 1944 to 1945. In 1955, he sold the lumberyard to build Huebert Fiberboard on Munroe Avenue in East Kildonan. He later sold the plant and built two more, at Wabamun, Alberta and Boonville, Missouri. He also built two car washes in Winnipeg using equipment imported from Germany: Ed’s Car Wash (in partnership with his son Ed) off Route 90 and Henry’s Car Wash in Transcona (with his nephew Henry). Around the same time, he founded a concrete-forming business on Gateway Road which he later sold to Barkman Concrete. In the 1959 provincial election, he ran unsuccessfully as Liberal Progressive candidate for the Kildonan constituency. He moved to Vancouver, British Columbia in 1971 where he bought a retired tugboat, the Lloyd B. Gore, and was renovating it when he died on 3 March 1973. He was buried in the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 6 March 1973, page 30.
Mennonites, Politics, and Peoplehood: Europe-Russia-Canada, 1525-1980 by James Urry, pages 240-241.
North Kildonan Council History, 1940-1949, Miles Macdonell Alumni Association.
We thank Irene Furgate for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Christian Cassidy.
Page revised: 16 September 2018
Back to top of page