Memorable Manitobans: John Champion Collinson (1878-1934)
Lawyer, civil servant.
Born at Seeley's Bay, Ontario on 31 August 1878, his father died when he was eight and the family moved to Kingston, Ontario. He attended Athens High School and Queen's University, graduating from the latter with a science degree in 1898. He came to Manitoba and articled in law with W. W. Coleman at Stonewall. After two years, he moved to Winnipeg and finished his legal studies with Colin Howell Campbell. He returned to Stonewall in 1902 and remained there for five years, for some time in partnership with Coleman and the remainder on his own.
In 1908, he returned to Winnipeg and practiced with Thomas Roberts “Tommy” Ferguson and later with W. W. Richardson. He practiced alone for two years then he joined Coulter, Collinson and Proctor. He was made a King's Counsel in 1930. He was a member of the law firm later known as MLT Aikins (1929-1930) before being appointed a legislative counsel in 1930, holding the position until his death.
On 22 February 1905, he married Ella Maude Mary Frankland (1881-1945, daughter of Thomas Frankland) at Stonewall. They had no children. He resided in the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry and served as its Reeve (1922-1923).
On 20 October 1934, he was killed by the explosion of an oil tank connected to the furnace of his home and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“J. C. Collinson outstanding in legal circles,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 October 1934, page 2.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 November 2021