Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Clark (1859-1934)
Born in Vaughan Township, Ontario in 1859, he was educated there. In 1887, he married Elizabeth Parr (1855-1940) at Thompsonville and farmed in that vicinity for some time. They came to Manitoba in 1892 and lived at Old Dauphin, located north of the present day site of Dauphin, where he operated a boarding house. When the railway arrived in this region in 1896, he moved to Dauphin where he built an opera house, later converting it the the King’s Hotel (demolished in 1988) at 204 Main Street. He built a three-storey business block, opposite his hotel, in 1917 and continued farming and engaging in real estate transactions throughout this period. He suffered heavy financial losses after the First World War and, in 1924, he retired to one of his farms where he lived quietly to the end of this life. He died at his home in the Mayflower district on 10 November 1934 and was buried in the Dauphin Cemetery.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Jos. Clark, early resident, dies,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 15 November 1934, page 6.
Dauphin: An Architectural Walking Tour, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch, 2003.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 November 2017