Memorable Manitobans: Hunt Walsh Alan Chambre (1861-1943)
Soldier, real estate and financial agent.
Born at Dublin, Ireland in 1861, eldest son of W. H. Chambre, he was educated at King William’s College (Isle of Man), Dundalk Grammar School, and Ennis College (Ennis, Ireland). He came to Canada in 1880 and took up land in what later became the Rural Municipality of Russell. Around 1881 he was employed in construction work for the Canadian Pacific Railway. He returned to Winnipeg in 1881 and opened a real estate business and financial agency, also representing the Standard Loan Company. His firm was responsible for the establishment and promotion of Hillside Beach on the east shore of Lake Winnipeg, around 1913.
During the 1885 North West Rebellion, he fought with the 90th Battalion at the Battle of Fish Creek. On 7 October 1893, he married Charlotte Harriet Woods (1871-1937) at Winnipeg and they lived at 115 West Gate. They had no children. He was a long-time member of the Orange Order in Winnipeg, having joined in 1882. In his youth he was an active athlete, being a member of the Winnipeg Rugby Football Club for over 10 years and serving on its executive. He was a co-founder of the 90th Football Club, and he held several executive positions with the St. George’s Snow Shoe Club. He won rowing trophies as a member of the Winnipeg Rowing Club.
He died at Winnipeg on 6 March 1943 and was buried in the Old Kildonan Cemetery.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Summer resorts,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 July 1913, page 14.
“Lieut.-Col. Chambre succumbs, aged 81,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 March 1943, page 2.
“Once the district was called Armstrong’s Point – now it’s Eastgate, Middlegate and Westgate” by Lillian Gibbons, Winnipeg Tribune, 9 April 1949, page 14.
We thank David Crawley for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 May 2019