Memorable Manitobans: Martin Dmytro Chalaturnyk (1920-2011)
Born at Gardenton on 20 July 1920, son of Emanuil and Elizabeth Chalaturnyk, brother of John Chalaturnyk, he was educated at the local schools and the Central Normal School, graduating from the latter in 1943. He began a 34-year teaching career at Sprague then moved to Angusville where he was the Principal of Angus School (1946-1950). He was later the Principal of Wellwood School (1950-1951), Oakburn School (1954-1959), and Harrison High School (1966-1979), and also taught at the Brandon Collegiate (1961-1962). In 2004, he was inducted into the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame along with other members of the Angusville Cardinals Baseball Club. He died at Brandon on 11 June 2011 and was buried in the Brandon Cemetery.
Brother-in-law of Peter M. Luba.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“School’s out,” Brandon Sun, 15 June 1979, page 2.
“Retired Principal reflects on 34-year school career,” Brandon Sun, 21 August 1979, page 33.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, 14 June 2011, page 14.
Burial transcription, Brandon Municipal Cemetery.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 February 2016
Back to top of page