Memorable Manitobans: Christopher C. Carruthers (1876-1948)
Born at Aylmer, Quebec on 19 May 1876, he attended McGill University and Montreal Diocesan College, receiving his BA in 1901 and graduating in theology in 1903. After being ordained by Archbishop Bennett of Montreal, he served as a curate in Quebec before moving west.
In 1906, he became the first chaplain of the Barr Colony at Lloydminster, Saskatchewan. He later became rural dean of the district and helped to build a dozen churches. By 1912, he was in Edmonton serving as rector of Holy Trinity Church and on 1 April 1927 he began his ministry at Holy Trinity Church, Winnipeg. He served as rector at this church for 14 years, resigning in 1940. He later became Chaplain of Deer Lodge Hospital (1943-1947). At the time of his death, he was in the service of Rev. F. B. Gartrell of St. George’s Church.
Honorary Major Carruthers’ military record includes assisting in the organization of the 22nd Saskatchewan Light Horse in 1909. He served in the First World War with the 151st Battalion and the Fort Garry Horse and the Second World War. Additionally, he was chaplain of the 19th Alberta Dragoons (1907), the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (1928-1940), Military District No. 10 (1941), the Canadian Legion in Winnipeg, the 90th Battalion Association, and the Fort Garry Horse. He held the colonial officers’ decoration, the King George Coronation medal and the Vimy ribbon and medal. He was active in organizing a pilgrimage to Vimy Ridge in 1936. He was a member of the Empire Club, the Canadian Club, and the AF & AM (Northern Lights Lodge).
He married Louise R. Cunningham in 1905. Their children include Olive and Ruth. On 5 June 1948, he died at the Winnipeg General Hospital.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
This page was prepared by Sarah Ramsden.
Page revised: 7 February 2014
Back to top of page