Memorable Manitobans: Henry Eric Bergman (1893-1958)
Born at Dresden, Germany in 1893, where he studied at the Art and Trade School, he came to Canada in 1913. A year later he joined Brigden’s Limited in Winnipeg, where he spent many years as a wood engraver for the Eaton’s catalogue. He and Charles Comfort exhibited together in 1922 and 1924. Bergman worked in pencil, watercolour, oil paint, colour wood block printing, and was best known for his fine black and white wood engravings. His work was mainly inspired by music, beauty in nature, and wild, urban, and industrial landscapes. Subject matter included Winnipeg, rural Manitoba, Lake of the Woods, southern Ontario, and Banff.
His work is held in several collections, including that of the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Glenbow (Calgary, Alberta), and the National Gallery of Canada. He was a charter member of the Winnipeg Art Gallery, charter member and President (1939-1942) of the Manitoba Society of Artists, a member of Painters and Etchers Society of Ontario, and a member of the Canadian Handicrafts Guild. He lived at 368 Baltimore Road, Winnipeg from 1925 to the time of his death. Several of his works depict views from the windows of the house, including “The South Window”, an oil painting in the collection the Winnipeg Art Gallery.
He died at Winnipeg on 9 February 1958 and was buried in Brookside Cemetery.
“City artist, H. E. Bergman dies at 64,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 February 1958, page 32.
We thank Daniel Lindley and Norma Bergman for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 January 2021