Memorable Manitobans: Marjorie Elliot Jackson (1912-1989)
Born in the RM of Whitehead on 18 June 1912, daughter of Hugh Elliot Jackson and Viola Mae McBride, in 1934 she graduated from the Brandon General Hospital School of Nursing. She nursed at Hamiota and New York state for several years. In 1943, she joined the Royal Canadian Air Force Medical Corps and was later Matron of a British hospital specializing in the treatment of burns and the development of new techniques in plastic surgery. In recognition of her war service, in 1949 she received the Associate Royal Red Cross. Returning to Canada, she became the Director of Nursing at Brandon General Hospital, and held the position until retirement in 1974, when she moved to Nanaimo, British Columbia. She died in 1989.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1916 Canada census, Ancestry.
“Airmen, nursing sisters honored at investiture,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 April 1949, page 4.
“Nursing director retires after 25 years service,” Brandon Sun, 11 March 1974, page 7.
“Alumnae honors member,” Brandon Sun, 27 March 1974, page 21.
“Miss Marjorie Jackson joins a select band,” Brandon Sun, 14 June 1973, page 12.
“Pair of landmarks close to receiving heritage status,” Brandon Sun, 8 September 2012, page A4.
Jackson House, 339 Victoria Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 November 2014
Back to top of page