Memorable Manitobans: William Ernest “Bill” Ingersoll (1880-1968)
Born at Shoal Lake on 29 July 1880, son of William Merritt Ingersoll (1857-1912) and Mary Elizabeth Ball (1857-1886), he joined the Manitoba Free Press as a reporter in 1908 and also served as secretary to John Wesley Dafoe. He published the books Daisy Herself (1918) and The Road That Led Home; A Romance of Plow-land (1918), and had a short story in the first anthology of Canadian writing, published in 1929. He was best known as Church Editor (1935-1960) and for writing the “Looking Back” column in the Free Press. After retirement, he continued as a freelance writer, contributing historical sketches to the Free Press.
He was married twice, first on 11 March 1912 to Marguerite Hazel Thomson (?-?), with whom he had three children: William Frederick Ingersoll (1915-?), Miriam Ingersoll (?-?, wife of S. B. Hayward), and Frances Ingersoll (?-?, wife of ? Murphy). On 4 March 1922, he married Mary Marguerite Clendenan (1892-1973). They had a son, ? Ingersoll (1923-?). He was a fan of boxing and music, collecting Elvis Presley records at the age of 80.
He died at the Grace Hospital on 31 December 1968.
Birth registration [William Ernest Ingersoll], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Marriage registration [William Ernest Ingersoll, Marguerite Hazel Thomson], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Birth registrations [William Frederick Ingersoll, Unnamed Ingersoll], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Marriage registration [William Ernest Ingersoll, Mary Clendenan], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Former church editor dies here at 89,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1969, page 6.
“William Ernest Ingersoll,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1969, page 28.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1969, page 30.
Obituary [Mary Marguerite Ingersoll], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 July 1973, page 41.
Dictionary of Manitoba Biography by John M. “Jack” Bumsted, Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1999.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 May 2023