Memorable Manitobans: James G. Bambridge (1860-1952)
Pioneer, blacksmith, farmer.
Born at Scarborough, Ontario on 3 February 1860, he grew up in Markham and came to Winnipeg in 1880. From there, he moved to Minnedosa and then to Souris in the summer of 1881. He was reputedly the sixth citizen of Souris, its first blacksmith and worked on the construction of the first building there. He eventually closed his blacksmith shop in Souris and farmed in the Griswold district until 1921. While living in Manitoba, Bambridge worked at Hossack’s blacksmith shop in Portage la Prairie (circa 1882) and as a Massey-Harris dealer at one time. He moved to Vancouver to retire where he lived for around 25 years until moving back to Winnipeg to live with his daughter.
He and his wife Alice shared two daughters, Mrs. D. B. Sparling and Mrs. W. P. Bajus, and one son, James W. Bambridge was a member of the United Church, the Foresters’ lodge and the Liberal Association.
He died in March 1952 and was buried at Souris Cemetery.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“J. Bambridge recalls old blacksmith days,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 February 1948. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B10, page 8]
“First Souris blacksmith observes 88th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 February 1948. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B10, page 8]
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 11 March 1952, page 6.
This page was prepared by Sarah Ramsden.
Page revised: 11 June 2010