Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James School No. 7 / Linwood School (266 Linwood Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The St. James School District No. 7 was established in July 1871. It operated schools in what would later become the Winnipeg suburb of St. James until it became part of the St. James-Assiniboia School Division No. 2 in 1969.

Linwood School was known as St. James School when it opened in late 1914. Designed by Winnipeg architect Alexander Melville and built at a cost of $175,000, its distinctive red brick and limestone exterior featured entrances on its west side labeled “Boys” and “Girls.” Opened at a ceremony on 25 November 1914 attended by Education Minister G. R. Coldwell and Deputy Minister Robert Fletcher, elementary classes were initially held on the main floor and high school classes were on the second floor. When St. James Collegiate opened in the early 1950s, the higher grades moved there.

The school’s alumni includes the city’s first female mayor Susan Thompson, bandleader Jimmy King, Liberal Cabinet Minister Mitchell Sharp, speed skater Gordon Audley, provincial premier Greg Selinger, and National Defense Headquarters Chief of Air Staff Ken Pennie.

Principals

Period

Principal

c1907

Joseph Cooper Iliffe (1866-1937)

1908-1911

?

1911-1936

Theodore J. Watts (1864-?)

1936-1965

William John Wallace (1900-1988)

1965-1967

Raymond Cleave “Ray” Davis (?-2017)

1967-1970

Ronald Edward “Ron” Littlejohn (1935-2017)

1970-1972

Lincoln L. Lautermilch

1972-1979

Frank H. Voth

1979-1981

Peter D. Carney

1981-1986

Donald Taylor McKinnon (1926-2012)

1986-1990

Merrill D. Groff

1990-1994

Arlene E. Billeck

1994-1997

Gregory J. Mutter

1997-1999

James E. Tomes

1999-2011

Dianne Snider

2011-2016

Kelsey McDonald

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1951-1960

Mabel Morrow (1894-1999)

1960-1969

?

1969-1971

Miss M. Davies

1971-1973

William Betz

1989-1990

Lawson Tarbuth

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1955-1956

Mr. J. Brock, Mrs. P. A. Brewer, Mrs. P. Briercliffe, Mrs. B. Burnett, Mrs. A. E. Cairns, Mrs. A. Clayton, Mr. A. H. Cowen, Miss M. Davies, Mrs. M. G. Ferguson, Mrs. B. Frame, Miss M. Glasman, Mrs. G. Holland, Miss M. M. Insley, Mrs. M. J. Johnson, Miss R. A. Keyes, Mr. R. E. Littlejohn, Miss Doreen Matheson, Mrs. C. McLean, Miss M. E. McRae, Miss E. H. D. Miller, Mrs. E. Peters, Miss M. E. Pildrem, Miss V. Posnikoff, Miss N. J. Premachuk, Mrs. L. K. Robson, Mrs. V. Schmidt, Mrs. M. Stephens, Mrs. W. G. Turner, Mr. H. B. Unruh, Miss A. K. Wallace, Miss K. Weldon, Miss A. Wiechman, Miss M. E. Willet, Miss M. Wood, Mrs. J. S. Yarwood

Among the other teachers were Mr. J. H. Arkland (1876), Mr. O. Parr (1892-1893), Miss Ella Williams (1894-1895), Miss Bessie McIntyre (1895-1896), Miss Miller (1897-1898), Miss M. L. Hislop (1898-1899), Mr. Harry Murdoff (1899-1901), Miss Mabel W. Wright (1901-1906), Miss M. L. Perkins (1907-1908), Miss M. McIntyre (1908-1909), Joseph E. Murphy (1937-1946), Petter Martin Juul (1938), Mary Davies (?-?), and John Boyd (1922-1945).

Photos & Maps

Linwood School

Site of the original St. James School and Linwood School (May 1914)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, Series 2, Assiniboia - St. James suburb - Sheet 1A.

Linwood School

Linwood School (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Linwood School

Linwood School (2008)
Source: Reid Dickie

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88101, W97.22782
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Collegiate (1900 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Linwood School No. 641 (RM of North Cypress)

Sources:

“City and provincial news [J. H. Arkland],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 4 February 1876, page 5.

“Schools in session,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 2 September 1892, page 5.

“The School Board,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 12 December 1894, page 3.

“Shall fees be charged,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 11 September 1895, page 3.

“School changes,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 31 August 1897, page 3.

“The public schools,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 31 August 1898, page 2.

“Opening of city schools,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 2 September 1899, page 4.

“Assignment of teachers,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 1 September 1900, page 1.

“School site purchased,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 13 March 1901, page 8.

“Holidays end Tuesday next,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 31 August 1901, page 10.

“The staff of city teachers,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 1 September 1902, page 3.

“City schools re-open Monday,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 August 1903, page 7.

“City schools open to-morrow,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 31 August 1904, page 3.

“Assignment of Winnipeg teachers,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 September 1905.

“Changes in city schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 August 1907.

“Re-opening of schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1908, page 1.

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 October 1913, page 6.

“To visit school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 November 1914, page 5.

“Open “Palace of Education”,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1914, page 3.

“Address List, Municipal School District of St. James No. 7,” St. James Assiniboia School Division.

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall and Bruce Waters for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and Reid Dickie.

Page revised: 18 December 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.