Manitoba Organization: Lord Selkirk School Division No. 11
The Lord Selkirk School Division was created on 1 April 1959 by an order of the Manitoba Minister of Education, acting on a recommendation of the MacFarlane Commission on Education and the School Divisions Boundaries Commission. It became responsible for all secondary education, grades 9 to 12, within the area of the following school districts:
In September 1959, the School Division operated the Selkirk Collegiate Institute with classes in grades 9 to 12. Grade 9 classes, and some in grade 10, were also held at Happy Thought School, Victoria Beach School, Lockport School, Highland School, St. Andrews School, Mapleton School, and Clandeboye School. Grand Marais School had classes in grades 9 to 11 for several years.
On 15 February 1967, by an Order-in-Council, the Lord Selkirk School Division was given jurisdiction over all education for grades 1 to 12 and the 40 rural school districts within its area were dissolved. In 1970, the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation asked that their area be included in the school division and this came into effect as Ward 6 on 1 January 1971.
Report of the School Divisions Boundaries Commission, 13 January 1959, Manitoba Legislative Library, SpR 1958 Education.
Lord Selkirk S.D. No. 11, 25th Anniversary Calendar, 1967-1992.
Page revised: 1 December 2017Back to top of page