The Mayfield School District was organized formally in September 1908 and a school building, constructed in 1910, operated at SW29-13-6E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. It was destroyed by fire in December 1952 and a replacement was ready by the fall of 1953. It closed in 1966 when jurisdiction for the area became the responsibility of the Lord Selkirk School Division. The former school building was used for a time as a community centre and was later renovated into a private residence.
The teachers of Mayfield School were Stella C. Kelly (1910), Annie E. Loutie (1911), Margaret B. Mcleod (1911-1912), Lyle Mary Deagan (1912-1913), Emily J. Tauner (1913), Lewis McGuire (1914), Phoebe Anderson (1915-1916), Ethel Dickson (1917), Elin Gudmundsson (1917-1918), Gertrude Rodin (1918-1919), Blanche Leask (1919), Margaret Trick (1920), Marjorie Green (1920), K. Robertson (1920-1921), Mary E. Taylor (1921), Delmar Erikson (1923), J. P. Solmundson (1923-1924), Vera Hutcheon (1924), Ruby Steele (1925), Lillian B. Moar (1925), Jane Jamieson Gordon (1926-1927), Olive Margaret Wall (1927-1929), Reta Willamina McNeil (1929-1930), Evelyn Margaret Strain (1930-1932), Robert McElroy (1932-1936), Helen Beatrice Bowley (1936-1938), Zelma Sanforetta Tyndale (1938-1939), Mary Janet McClellan (1939), Mabel J. Scott (1940), Louise Nellie Violet Yestrau (1940-1943), Jennie P. Bereziuk (1943), Herta Krahn (1944), Peter Drabyk (1944), Benjamin Franklin Privat (1945), Lauretta May Hiebert (1945), Harry Hryhorka (1946), John George Bodnaruk (1947), Sophie Julia Galka (1947-1950), Steffie Eva Sawchuk (1950-1951), Esther Lorraine Matthes (1951-1952), Mrs. Helen Elaine Witko (1952-1956), Mynle Eva Wianiko (1956-1958), Lena C. Basiuk (1958-1962), Lorraine Doris Kazina (1962-1964), Janet E. Bailey (1964-1965), and Mrs. Frederick B. McKim (1965-1966).
The former Mayfield School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.12168, W96.74915
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!