Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rossdale School No. 956 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Rossdale School District was organized formally in July 1898 and a two-classroom schoolhouse operated on Lot 85 in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. An $2,800 addition was built in 1923 upon architectural designs of Gilbert C. Parfitt. The school, which was consolidated into the St. Andrew School District No. 2 in January 1964, operated until the mid 1960s.
Other teachers of Rossdale School, between 1918 and 1962, included Sara Liss (1918-1920), Mrs. Mary Shepherd (1923-1929), Ernest McKay (1924-1928), Myrtle Goldstone (1929-1935), Marie Prygrocki (1929-1933), Zelma Novak (1930-1936), Nita Romanche (1934-1936), John M. Kozoriz (c1937), Bernice Protasciewich (1937-1939), Fred Ostafew (1937-1940), Olga Basisty (1938-1941), Fred Kowalchuk (1941-1949), Elsie Kostiuk (1942), Dena Juanita Sacha (1943-1944), Rose Angela Churko (1947), Mrs. Anna Huculak (1948), Helen Masse (1949), Yvonne Masse (1949), Elsie Harasymec (1958), Zigmund Joe Wolfe (1958), Mrs. Patricia Bazan (1962), Mrs. Marilyn Woloshyn (1961-1962), and Mrs. R. Podruski (1962).
Photos & Coordinates
School District Formation Files (E 0027), Rossdale School District No. 956, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Plans and shop drawings (GS 0100), Rossdale School District addition, GR3125, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rossdale School District #956 - Daily Register, GR2034, Archives of Manitoba.
Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #2 School District of Rossdale, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Michael Chubey and John Redekopp for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 12 May 2023