Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clandeboye School No. 47 (Clandeboye, RM of St. Andrews)
Clandeboye School No. 47 was established in the community of Clandeboye, in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, in January 1878. The original building was replaced in 1916 by an impressive stone structure designed by Winnipeg architect H. W. Greene. It served the educational needs of the community until 1967 when jurisdiction for the area became the responsibility of the Lord Selkirk School Division. The building was demolished in 1970. The name and cornerstone from the former school building was erected on the grounds of its replacement, William S. Patterson School (named for former school inspector W. S. Patterson), in the spring of 2011.
Photos & Maps
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Lynn Nolden.
Page revised: 20 October 2018
Back to top of page