Known as the Gunnville School District when it was established in July 1896, a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW12-16-3E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. It was later renamed Hartley School, possibly in honour of school inspector W. C. Hartley. After the school and the district was dissolved, in 1967, the former school building was moved to the Teulon Museum.
Memorable Manitobans: William Christopher Hartley (1869-1936)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Teulon and District Museum (Teulon)
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.