Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fillmore School No. 2170 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Fillmore School District was established formally in August 1927 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW31-14-5E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews on land donated by Charles Wesley Fillmore, for whom the district was named. In 1963, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Clandeboye Consolidated School District No. 47 and later the Lord Selkirk School Division.
Among the teachers of Fillmore School were Anna Hollins Muckle Elliot (1927), Evelyn Riddell, C. J. Robson, Margaret Ekins, Ruth Barclay, Dorothy Sharpe, Freda Sanderson, Lily White, and Marie Peel (?-1945).
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 July 2017
Back to top of page