Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrews School No. 2 (RM of St. Andrews)
The St. Andrews School District was organized formally in July 1871, although the earliest school in this area of Manitoba dates back to 1851 when a building of logs and stone (designated school #2) was constructed at this site in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, replacing an earlier structure at the St. Andrews Rapids from the 1830s. Situated on two acres of land between St. Andrews-on-the-Red Anglican Church and the Church Rectory, the school #2 was used until it was condemned in 1900 and school #3 was constructed. An addition (school #4) was made in 1907 and the combined structure was used until it was destroyed by fire in 1926. It became the St. Andrews Consolidated School District in 1910.
In the aftermath of the fire, the school #2 was pressed into service while a replacement school was constructed. The original log and stone was covered with clapboards and the roof was reshingled. The fifth school opened in 1927 for classes in elementary grades while the older building continued in use for higher grades. It was divided into two classrooms in 1935, with grades 7 and 8 in one classroom and grades 9 to 11 in the other. School #2 was again condemned in 1942 and stood vacant until 1947 when efforts to have it designated as a historic site failed and it was sold to a local farmer.
A two-classroom addition was made to school #5 in 1942 and more classrooms were built in its basement in 1955 and 1962. Finally, in June 1964, construction of a new ten-classroom school designed by architect H. Peter Langes began and it opened officially on 19 December 1965. The building featured a large auditorium and the grounds had grown in size to eight acres. In 1967, the facility became part of the Lord Selkirk School Division.
The early teachers of St. Andrews School included Rev. W. Cockran, Donald Gunn, Archdeacon Hunter, Rev. Kirby, Mayhew, George Kennedy, Archdeacon MacKay, Thomas Norquay, James Taylor, A. Hodgson, Bell, White, Wightman, S. E. Smalley (1885-1890), Joseph Page (1890), Walter Gough (1890-1893), Edward E. Law (1893-1895), Evelyn Henderson (1895-1896), David Windsor (1896-1897), George Fallis (1898-1900), W. Vanduson (1900-1901), Gertrude Douglas (1901-1908), Allice Sullivan (1905), Florence Barnett (1905-1907), Winnifred Tighe (1907), Eva Sharey (1908-1909), Clara Stitt (1909-1912), Ethel Scott (1910-1916), Charles Brownson (1913), Albert Hill (1914-1916), Charlotte Lambert (1916-1917), Velma Brown (1916-1917), J. G. Johanneson (1916-1917), B. Hocekinson (1917-1918), Winnie Smallbone (1917-1918), Rhena Hicks (1917), Mrs. Brockman (1918-1919), Velma Denny (1919), J. B. Sanderson (1919-1920), Esther Liss (1919), Florence Calder (1919-1925), Isabel Calder (1920), O. McRobert (1920), H. C. Fairfield (1920-1921), M. Underwood (1921), Doris Foster (1922-1927), E. Thompson (1922), B. M. Martin (1925-1927), Madge Duncan (1925-1926), M. Peterson (1927), H. P. Merrett (1928), Grace Thompson (1928-1929), Gretta I. Cheyne (1929-1934), E. J. Stewart (1930), Marge M. Watson (1931-1934), Mabel J. Harvey (1931-1932), Muriel Sparling (1932-1934), and Mr. Wilson (1934).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 April 2021