Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lord Wolseley School / East Kildonan Collegiate (939 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Named for British military commander Garnet J. Wolseley, the Lord Wolseley School building was constructed in 1915 with six classrooms, at the same time as Salisbury School and Lord Kitchener School.

Secondary education in the East Kildonan area began in 1921 when the Winnipeg School District advised the local school board that it was not longer able to accept secondary students. For a year, classes were held in the Prince Edward School, which had opened in the fall of 1920. By the fall of 1927, overcrowding caused the classes to be relocated into Lord Wolseley School, where they remained until 1952, when the Miles Macdonell Collegiate building was constructed at its present location.

In October 1953, the school inaugurated the first school zone speed sign in Manitoba at the corner of Henderson Highway at Leighton Avenue.

Principals

Period

Principal

1915-1918

David Sutherland Michell (1865-1957)

1918-1920

James Hilton Moir (1882-1955)

1920-1921

Dorothy Rutherford Turner (1897-1970)

1921-1923

Bessie May Cameron Lancaster (1892-1978)

1923-1924

?

1924-1947

James Hilton Moir (1882-1955)

1947-1952

James Edwin Scarrow (1902-1982)

1952-1959

Leslie Wilmot Wiley (1910-1996)

1959-1961

Robert Henry Alexander Gray (1917-2010)

1961-1964

Marion Anderson (?-1983)

1964-1968

John A. Melnyk

1968-1969

?

1969-1972

Orest Lazaruk (1932-2008)

?-?

Val Kovachik (1933-2005)

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1952-1953

M. Borody

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1921-1922

Miss Dorothy Turner, Miss Gladys Robertson, Miss Lucille Gelley, Miss Jessie McDonald, and Miss Oneita Cameron

1922-1923

?

1923-1924

?

1924-1925

?

1925-1926

?

1926-1927

?

1927-1928

?

1928-1929

?

1929-1930

?

1930-1931

?

1931-1932

?

1932-1933

?

1933-1934

?

1934-1935

?

1935-1936

?

1936-1937

?

1937-1938

?

1938-1939

?

1939-1940

?

1940-1941

?

1941-1942

?

1942-1943

?

1943-1944

?

1944-1945

?

1945-1946

?

1946-1947

?

1947-1948

?

1948-1949

?

1949-1950

Miss G. Craig, R. N. Currie, Mrs. G. Garson, Miss L. M. Hudson, Mrs. M. E. Lee, Miss A. Riske, Mrs. M. Supeene, Mrs. A. R. Taylor, Miss P. Taylor, L. W. Wiley

1950-1951

?

1951-1952

?

1952-1953

Mrs. K. E. Beachell, Mrs. E. Bethel, Miss G. A. Craig, Mrs. F. Duerksen, Mrs. E. M. Fallis, Mrs. C. M. Garson, Miss L. M. Hudson, Miss P. Jackson, Miss L. Leech, Mrs. L. Leob, Mrs. I. G. Muirhead, Miss E. Siemens, Miss L. M. Stangl, and Mrs. A. R. Taylor

Photos & Maps

Lord Wolseley School

Lord Wolseley School (1922)
Source: “East Kildonan boasts of fine schools,“ Winnipeg Tribune, 23 September 1922, page 19.

Lord Wolseley School

Lord Wolseley School (August 1952)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7452, Album 17, Page 41.

Lord Wolseley School

Lord Wolseley School (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.93289, W97.09759
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wolseley School No. 305 (RM of Argyle)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wolseley School (511 Clifton Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Miles Macdonell Collegiate (757 Roch Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

“East Kildonan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1921, page 6.

“East Kildonan boasts of fine schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 September 1922, page 19.

“East Kildonan school bell to call scholars Sept. 6,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1949, page 3.

“E. Kildonan school staffs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 August 1952, page 7.

[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1953, page 22.

“Principal traded cards with kids,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Edition, 25 June 1989, page 1.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

A History of the East Kildonan Collegiate 1921-1952 by Jim Smith.

We thank Jim Smith, Nathan Kramer, and Kris Templin for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 May 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.