Historic Sites of Manitoba: West St. Paul School No. 4 (3740 Main Street, RM of West St. Paul)
Until the mid-1940s, classes of West St. Paul School was held at two sites in the Rural Municipality of West St. Paul. One teacher taught early grades (K-4 in 1940, K-3 in 1945) in a former church building at Middlechurch, also known as Middlechurch School, while classes in higher grades were held at the West St. Paul Municipal Hall by the Principal. By 1945, the West St. Paul School District, beset with crowding problems, began sending higher grade students to St. John’s High School.
To address the need for further capacity, the present West St. Paul School building was constructed in 1947 on designs of Winnipeg architect Edgar Prain. Built over a concrete basement, the brick structure was expanded in 1953 by the firm of Prain & Ward, adding four classrooms and a basement extension. Now in the Seven Oaks School Division, the school’s capacity was increased again in 1969, with a concrete, masonry, and steel frame addition designed by Ward & Macdonald. This raised its capacity to 600 students in grades Kindergarten to 10.
Among the teachers of West St. Paul School was Lemuel A. Ferguson (1904).
Photos & Coordinates
“City and general [St. Paul Assessment Roll],” Manitoba Free Press, 25 April 1913, page 21.
“Middlechurch can’t accommodate pupils,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1945, page 7.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 January 1947, page 18.
“Children to serve at storybook tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 March 1968, page 10.
“Okay given to build 2 Seven Oaks schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 September 1968, page 3.
“Tender notice addition to West St. Paul School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 February 1969, page 28.
“Three School Inspectors named,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 December 1965, page 7.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
We thank Gordon Goldsborough for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 October 2019
Back to top of page