Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sandy Lake School No. 1471 (Sandy Lake, Municipality of Harrison Park)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Sandy Lake School District was established in August 1908 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in Sandy Lake (NW9-18-20W) in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. By 1917, increases in student enrollment warranted the construction of a second classroom. In 1929, continued increases necessitated the construction of a new four-classroom school building at the corner of Railway Avenue and First Street West, that was occupied as of 1930. The original schoolhouse was moved to become the new Pulvers Lake School.

In 1959, it was consolidated with several rural school districts, including Mount Calm School No. 772, Jackfish Lake School No. 1367, Martindale School No. 1457, Coldwell School No. 1547, the west part of Rackham School No. 2123, Providence School No. 2184, and Pulvers Lake School No. 2220, to form the Sandy Lake Consolidated School No. 2370. Later districts that joined were Fraser School No. 1301 and Audy School No. 2183. Classes were opened in the basement and, later, in the Community Hall. Sandy Lake became part of the Rolling River School Division and, in September 1961, a new four-roomed Collegiate opened to high school students. It had a library, gymnasium, and science laboratory. A fifth classroom was added in 1963. Students in grades 10 to 12 were later bused to Erickson Collegiate. The old school was closed in October 1975 and all classes were held in the former Collegiate building. The building was sold and dismantled in 1977.

Principals

Period

Principal

1937-1940

Norris D. Belton (1914-2000)

1940-1941

John Osborn Wilson (1900-1972)

1941-1942

John Parsons (?-?)

1942-1943

Ruth Annie Fairlie Henderson (1904-1992)

1943-1944

H. Johnson

1944-1946

George [Woloshynovski] Woloshynoski (c1909-1963)

1946-1952

Harry Piniuta (1910-1990)

1952-1956

John W. Boychuk

1956-1957

Edward P. Misanchuk

1957-1959

Nicholas Peech

1959-1960

Wilf Gosselin

1960-1964

Don T. Maluk

1964-1967

S. Konopski

1967-1968

Nick Kalyniuk

1968-1970

Orest Dykun

1970-1973

Jack T. Crolley

Teachers

The other teachers of Sandy Lake School (1909-1982) were Ethel Grover (1909), Elza Bryant (1910), Percival Leighton (1910), George Campbell (1910), W. W. Crosby (1911), Robert Walton (1912), Myrtle Moon (1913), Katie Johnson (1916), E. Isbister (1916), Annie Allanson (1917), Irene McJonnet (1917), Anna Smartwood (1918), Thomas Lilton (1919), F. C. Saunderson (1921), J. B. Shere (1921), G. Gardner (1921), M. McKay (1922), Helen Muir (1921), S. A. Amjott (1921), A. E. Burkett (1921), Jane Chapple (1921), Dorothy Greaves (1922), Gladys McBray (1923), Eloise McKenzie (1923), L. McKenzie (1924), Earl McKellar (1926), Jessie Smith (1927), Emma Ek (1927), William Wallace Wright (1927-1929), John S. Dickison (1928), Edna Lund (1928), John Cameron (1929), Nadia Boyaniwski (1929), Matilda Presumka (1930), K. Greenway (1930), Wesley Patterson (1931), Evelyn Dean (1931), Wilma Hamilton (1931), Marie Rudka (1932), Valerie Karpetz (1932), Emily Goodchild (1932), Frank Woycheshin (1933), Francis Kurys (1933), Clayton Bricker (1933), Mary Bachewich (1936), Anne Bosiak (1937), E. M. Surby (1937), Ann Bodnar Kristalovich (1938), H. D. Gensberg (1940), N. Dunita (1940), Lillian Gregorash (1942), David Iverach (1942), G. M. Csuzdi (1942), Anne Lacroix (1943), K. Michalchuk (1943), Olga Hyrsak (1943), Philomene Lacroix (1944), Julia Hasiuk (1944), Nick Pereski (1945), Mrs. A. Pereski (1945), Mrs. J. M. Kwiatkowski (1946), Bill Pauluk (1946), Olga M. Kowal (1946), Melvin Borody (1947), Oriel Kostynuik (1947), Tillie Karleski Rystephaniuk (1947), Anne Berezowsky (1947), Pearl Bayduoza (1949), Leo Gendreau (1950), Morris Boychuk (1951), James Cliffe (1954), Emily Paswisty (1954), Cassie Misanchuk (1955), Marjorie A. Robinson (1955), Enid Wallace (1956), N. Kristalovich (1956), Helen Kukurudza (1958), Nickolas Pereski (1958), Ann Pereski (1958), O. A. Perlett (1959), Doris Loganburg (1959), Michael Shewchuk (1959), Victoria Ellchuk (1960), Kathy Zachary (1960), Edward Sichewsky (1960), Lynne Mault (1961), R. R. McCurdy (1961), Jack Ziprick (1961), Robert Syrnyk (1961), Ida Favelle (1962), A. Twerdochlib (1962), Stan Boguski (1962), L. Romantz (1963), Gerald Butler (1963), Don Johnson (1963), Lester Hurse (1963), Olga Kowalchuk (1964), Judith Yakusik (1964), Joyce Thompson (1964), Moody Roebuck (1964), Susan Yanik (1964), Dennis Wishnowski (1964), Frank Peters (1964), Mr. Gilleshammer (1964), Mary Saranchuk (1965), Joyce Coulson (1965), Eleanor Tereck (1965), Shirley Sheeska (1965), Gerald Diswinka (1966), Henry Tkatchuk (1966), Mike Geletchuk (1966), Linda Squance (1966), Brenda Trelenberg (1967), Hazel Michalchuk (1968), Evelyn Shindruk (1968), Dorothy Warwaruk (1968), Leona Mackedenski (1969), Olga Kowalchuk (1969), Twyla Travelyan (1971), Pam Lewandoski (1972), Ernie Burdeniuk (1973-1974), John Montgomery (1975), Gaeta Shaw (1979), Linda Hall (1980), Sharon Furman (1980), Tom Crew (1980), Robert Bjarnason (1981), Jack Coulson (1982), and Muriel Koscielny (1982).

Photos & Maps

The original Sandy Lake School, later the Pulvers Lake School

The original Sandy Lake School, later the Pulvers Lake School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 123.

The former Sandy Lake School, built in 1961 and used initially for high school and later elementary grades

The former Sandy Lake School, built in 1961 and used initially for high school and later elementary grades (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.52916, W100.17933
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Halley’s Comet Cairn (Sandy Lake, Municipality of Harrison Park)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Elphinstone East topographic map, 62K/9 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S32 His]

Sandy Lake School by Ed Kowalchuk, Winnipeg: Trident Press, 1993.

We thank Nathan Kramer and Audrey Bamber for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.