Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jackfish Lake School No. 1367 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Jackfish Lake School District was formed in 1906. A school building, located near the site of a monument on SE25-17-20W, in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park, opened in December 1909 with 35 students enrolled under teacher Michael Onofreyo. It closed in 1958 due to declining enrollment, by which time 368 students and 20 teachers had attended the school. A monument was dedicated in 1999 to the pioneers, parents, students, teachers, and trustees of Jackfish Lake School.
The teachers of Jackfish Lake School were Michael Onofreyo, T. Malaniuk, A. J. Basarabowicz (1929), L. Wolonczuk, T. J. Marciniw, E. Bilinski, W. O. Davies, Robert Bruce, Mike Nowosad, Thomas G. Caunt, Wesley J. Patterson, Matilda Patterson, Stephen Hyra, Charles S. Stevenson, Walter Nowosad (1937-1939), Marcia Ewashko, Lena Hnatiuk, A. A. Lechowicz, Cassie Pawluk, Nicholas Gensiorerk, William S. Stefaniuk, Eugenia Sopiwnyk, John Zurbyk, Metro Koroscil, and Cassie Misanchuk.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S32 His]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 December 2018
Back to top of page