Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pulvers Lake School No. 2220 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Pulvers Lake School District was established in March 1930 and, during the winter of 1931, the former one-room schoolhouse of the Sandy Lake School School District was moved to SW1-19-20W in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. The school closed permanently in 1957. In 1960, the district was dissolved and its area was added to the Sandy Lake Consolidated School District. It later became part of the Rolling River School Division. The former school building was moved to a farm at NE20-17-19W where it was renovated into a house. A sign commemorates it at the original site.
The teachers of Pulvers Lake School were Margaret English (1931), Bodvar Jon S. Bodvarson (1931-1932), Evelyn L. Dean (1932-1933), Mary Ann Slyzuk (1933-1936), Annie Bachewich (1936-1940), Tony Solor (1940-1941), Mrs. Lillian Gregorash (1940-1941), Mike Postmituk (1941-1943), Michael J. Yaniw (1942-1943), Agnes Pinski (1943-1944), Marie Wozniak (1944-1945), Olga Nowalkowski (1945-1946), Olive Mishanchuk (1946-1947), Olga E. Zemliak (1947-1948), Shirley Van Hagen (1948-1949), Natalie Pasawysty (1949-1950), Phyllis Kenyon Lamb (1950), Morris Boychuk (1950-1951), Ned Kiez (1951-1952), Mervin E. Ward (1952-1953), Olga Klushewich (1953-1954), Sonia E. Hullick (1954-1955), Martha J. Plewak (1955-1956), and Violet Matiawski (1956-1957).
Elphinstone East topographic map, 62K/9 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S32 His]
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 April 2021