Manitoba Communities: Pilot Mound (Unincorporated Town)
This town is named for the nearby shale mound which was used as a navigational landmark by generations of travellers on the featureless prairie.
An Order-in-Council was issued on 27 June 1883 incorporating the Village of Pilot Mound. James M. Fraser was elected as Mayor, with James Beveridge, A. McDougall, and Robert Snowball elected as the first Councillors. D. A. Stewart was appointed Secretary-Treasurer. In 1882, W. A. Donald opened a law office and, the next year in partnership with J. M. Fraser, he started a private bank. A. B. Elford, who had a share in the town site and who was a banker, came out from Winnipeg and helped to start the banking business.
Search the MHS collection of biographies for ones connected to Pilot Mound:
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
Memories of Pioneer Days at Pilot Mound by Rev.William Reid, 1930.
We thank Ed Grassick and Tighe McManus for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 April 2020Back to top of page