Historic Sites of Manitoba: Copperfield School No. 480 (RM of Louise)
The Copperfield School District was organized in November 1886 and a school building on the southeast corner of NE29-3-11W in the Rural Municipality of Louise. The original building was replaced in 1912 by a one-storey brick structure. The school closed in June 1964 and and henceforth students from this area went to Pilot Mound Consolidated School No. 105. Its district was dissolved in 1967. The original school building stood at the site until 2012 when it was demolished.
Among the teachers of Copperfield School were Miss Mary Barbour (1887), Mr. Cranston, Kellog Connoly, John Graham, Henry Irvine, Miss Barbara Irvine (1895-1904), Miss F. Balfour (1904-1905), Maud Little, Bessie Perfect, Alice Potter, Fred Balfour, Mary Gemmill, Clara Beatrice McQuarrie (1929-1933), Pearl Brisbin, Lena Adams, Jessie Cooper, Lillian Travees (Hallonquist), Milford Preston, Alice Sharpe, Maud Morrow, Ellean Casselman, Cora Legacy, Ruth Elsey, and Mrs. Howard Johnston.
Chronicles of Our Heritage by the People of Snowflake: Pioneer Stories from Clearwater, Crystal City and Pilot Mound, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S62 Chr]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Roland Desrochers for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2016
Back to top of page