Historic Sites of Manitoba: Goudney School No. 87 (Municipality of Louise)
This site marks the location of Goudney School, after it was moved from its original location. It served the community until 1965 when it was closed and the remaining students went to Pilot Mound Consolidated School No. 105. The district was formally dissolved in 1966. The building is presently located at SE18-3-11W, one mile east of this site, and was renovated for use as a workshop.
The stone for this monument was obtained from the site of the former community of Preston, which was situated one-quarter mile north of here. Preston was the first post office in the area. Near this monument is the iron boiler from the former sawmill that operated at Preston, from 1879 until it was destroyed by fire in 1881.
Among the teachers of Goudney School was Mrs. Harvey Nelson.
Chronicles of Our Heritage by the People of Snowflake: Pioneer Stories from Clearwater, Crystal City and Pilot Mound, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S62 Chr]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 7 December 2019
Back to top of page