Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strathmillan School (339 Strathmillan Road, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Around 1915, a group of local citizens petitioned to have a school established in their vicinity and the St. James School Board duly erected a one-room schoolhouse at this site. It took the name of the adjacent road which, in turn, was named Strathmillan because it was midway between the estate of Lord Strathcona and property at Sturgeon Creek owned by farmer Donald McMillan. The school opened for classes in May 1915, with teacher Ruth Barker and fifteen students in grades 1 to 3. It closed in June 1933 and the building stood vacant for two years. In 1935, it was sold and moved to 200 Thompson Drive (about N49.87708, W97.26720) where it was used as a branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. It was later used as office and business space.

Residential development during the 1950s brought an influx of children to the area so plans were made for a new school. Original plans had called for it to be built on Mount Royal Road. They changed when school board official Aidan Conklin felt the location was too close to the landing strip at the nearby Stevenson Field (now the Winnipeg International Airport). So the school was ultimately built on the same site as the original one-room school. The single-storey, brick and stone building was designed by Winnipeg architect J. N. Semmens and erected by general contractors Arlington Builders Limited.

In the fall of 1953, students slated to attend Strathmillan School were housed temporarily at Linwood School until January 1954, when the new building opened with twelve classrooms and an auditorium. An official opening ceremony occurred on 3 March 1954. By the fall of 1954, six more classrooms had been added to the structure and, in 1955, the central part with twelve more classrooms was built. An east wing containing twelve classrooms was added in 1961.

Principals

Period

Principal

1954-1959

James Weir Cowan (1910-1959)

1959-1970

Ervyn Milne Houck (1905-1993)

1970-1979

Ronald Edward “Ron” Littlejohn (1935-2017)

1979-1984

Leonard Harvey Goldsborough (1931-2012)

1984-1988

William T. “Bill” Betz

1988-1990

David James Bertnick (1947-2017)

1990-?

?

?-?

Sharon Smith

?-1996

?

1996-2005

Arlene E. Billeck

2005-2016

Sue Marlatt

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1955-1956

Miss W. Caldwell

1957-c1968

?

c1968

Eleanor Moffatt

c1968-1969

?

1969-1970

Bertha “Birdie” Ellison
Mrs. A. L. Hendy

1970-1972

Jack Van Den Bossche
Mrs. A. L. Hendy

1972-1973

David Frye

1973-1977

?

1977-1978

Miss M. Mensforth

1978-1979

Mr. G. Enns

1979-1980

Mr. G. Payne

1980-1982

Daniel Maharaj

1982-1983

Wanda Engbrecht

1983-1984

Peter Sawatsky

1984-1986

Daryl Johnson

1986-1987

Candace Borger

1987-1988

?

1988-1990

Vona Edgar

1990-1993

?

1993-1994

Margaret Ann Attenborrow

1994-1996

?

1996-1997

Ron Sigurdson
Lorraine Prokopchuk

1997-1998

Jennifer Fraser

1998-2003

?

2003-?

Patrick Betz

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1955-1956

Mr. B. A. Burnett, Miss E. Chambers, Miss D. Coles, Mrs. Jane Court, Miss M. Cranston, Miss D. Dickson, Miss D. Dracass, Mrs. J. Frame, Miss J. Hall, Mrs. A. R. Harper, Miss A. Hendy, Mrs. M. Hogg, Mrs. E. J. Hunt, Mr. T. R. Jaffray, Miss S. M. Johnson, Mrs. M. M. Kerr-Wilson, Mrs. R. Lundy, Miss S. McCulley, Mr. J. Neufeld, Mrs. M. O’Neill, Mr. A. Pelechaty, Miss P. Pentlichuk, Mrs. F. Robinson, Mrs. M. Wonnick

1956-1957

?

1957-1958

?

1958-1959

?

1959-1960

?

1960-1961

?

1961-1962

?

1962-1963

?

1963-1964

?

1964-1965

Mrs. McLeod (grades 3, 4), ?

1965-1966

Mrs. Dick (grade 5), ?

1966-1967

?

1967-1968

?

1968-1969

?

1969-1970

?

1970-1971

?

1971-1972

?

1972-1973

?

1973-1974

?

1974-1975

?

1975-1976

?

1976-1977

?

1977-1978

?

1978-1979

?

1979-1980

?

1980-1981

Mr. Arnold, Mrs. Barber, Eileene Belvin, Mary A. Berch Bodnarus, Mrs. Bockstael, Esther Bornn, Mrs. Butchard, Mrs. Duncan, May Goral, Greg Hershman, Mrs. Hickey, Donna Kennington, Mr. King, Joanne Kraus, Mrs. Lajeunesse, Mrs. Lewis, Mr. MacKinnon, Miss McKenzie, Mrs. Mitchell, Miss Morgan, Mrs. Nedotiafico, Mrs. Prefontaine, Mrs. Reimer, Mr. Smith, Mary A. Starodub, A. J. “Bert” Steinhauer, Vicky Strom, Gail Surman

1981-1982

?

1982-1983

Joyce Barber, Eileene Belvin, Mary A. Berch Bodnarus, Esther Bornn, B. Girardin, May Goral, Leslie Greeniaus, Greg Hershman, Donna Kennington, Andrew Krashewski, Dennis Leonard, Bernice Lewis, Cathie Morgan, Susan Reimer, Jane Simpson, Mary A. Starodub, A. J. “Bert” Steinhauer, Vicky Strom

1983-1984

Joyce Barber, Mary A. Berch Bodnarus, A. Brown, D. Carter, Ruth Duncan, B. Girardin, Sheldon Goldberg, May Goral, Leslie Greeniaus, L. Henry, Greg Hershman, Donna Kennington, Andrew Krashewski, P. Krowetz, Bernice Lewis, D. Maharaj, Cathie Morgan, B. Muns, Susan Reimer, P. Sawatsky, Jane Simpson, Mary A. Starodub, A. J. “Bert” Steinhauer, Vicky Strom, G. Surman, L. Werntz

1984-1985

Joyce Barber, D. Bramadat, Mrs. D. Carter, H. Dotten, J. Fraser, B. Girardin, Sheldon Goldberg, N. Hanley, Donna Kennington, Andrew Krashewski, Joanne Kraus, Bernice Lewis, D. Maharaj, Cathie Morgan, Susan Reimer, Jane Simpson, Mary A. Starodub, A. J. “Bert” Steinhauer, Vicky Strom, Gail Surman, C. Szuminsky

Photos & Maps

The former Strathmillan School building, used from 1915 to 1933, later a branch of the Royal Canadian Legion at 200 Thompson Drive

The former Strathmillan School building, used from 1915 to 1933, later a branch of the Royal Canadian Legion at 200 Thompson Drive (circa 1974)
Source: St. James Assiniboia School Division

The former Strathmillan School building

The former Strathmillan School building (October 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88167, W97.25032
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Congratulations to the St. James School Board on another modern addition to their school system,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 March 1954, page 9.

“Address List, Municipal School District of St. James No. 7,” St. James Assiniboia School Division.

A History of Strathmillan School, St. James Assiniboia School Division, circa 1974.

“St. James - Assiniboine School Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1993, page A11.

“School marks 50 years of memories,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 2003, page 73.

Obituary [Mary Antonia Bodnarus Berch], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 2016.

We thank the St. James Assiniboia School Division, Mari-Jean Nachtigall, Cathie Morgan Matula, and Nan Smith for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 2 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.