Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carman School No. 176 (Third Avenue SW, Carman)
The Carman School District was formally established in June 1884 in the Town of Carman. The original school building, measuring 18 feet by 24 feet, was situated on Fournier Avenue in the south end of town. By 1890, the school was overcrowded so the School Board purchased 16 lots along the west side of Villard Avenue and built a two-storey frame school building there. In 1901, an additional four-room building was added to the site. The school burned down on 10 October 1901 so the next year, a white-brick replacement was designed by Winnipeg architect C. H. Wheeler and built facing Third Avenue SW by the Brandon firm of Harrington and Newte, at a cost of about $26,000. It featured four classrooms on each of two main floors, and an assembly hall in the third floor attic. The school was opened officially in December 1902.
Around 1950, a one-storey elementary schoo building was constructed beside the brick school. In January 1955, the district became Carman Consolidated School with its consolidation with a pair of rural schools: Central School No. 944 and Ostrander School No. 113. Both buildings were demolished around 1961, even though the brick school was still determined to be structurally sound, and were replaced by the present building.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Building and real estate,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 April 1902, page 6.
“Carman school opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 December 1902, page 8.
“Carman, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, October 1916, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School Bells & Honey Pails: A GPS Tour of Local Country Schools, Dufferin Historical Museum, circa 2011, 74 pages.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 September 2016