A monument marks the location of Central School, which was organized in March 1898. A school building was constructed the next year in the southwest quarter of 12-6-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. It closed in 1954 when it was consolidated into Carman Consolidated School No. 176. As of the early 1990s, the former school building sat vacant at SW4-6-5W.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria-Albert School (Ellen Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Central School (Tenth Street, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Normal School (442 William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria School (32 Fifth Street SE, Portage la Prairie)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.