Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arden School No. 341 (Arden, Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
The Arden School District was formally established in October 1884 and a school building was erected three years later, in June 1887, at this site in the village of Arden, in the Rural Municipality of Lansdowne. It burned in 1890 and was replaced.
As settlement in the Arden area hastened through the early 20th century, a second school building was erected in 1909. As the consolidation movement continued, the school became Arden Consolidated School No. 341, in October 1919. Another building, known as the “Little School,” was built in 1920 on a design by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. By 1939, the school comprised three buildings, with grades 1 and 2 in the Little School, grades 3 to 5 in the “Middle School”, and grades 6 to 12 in the “High School”.
A new school building opened in 1954 and the Little School was moved to its present location on the south side of the Arden municipal office as a Seniors Centre. The Middle School became a private residence, first at Neepawa and later at Onanole. The High School building fell apart when an attempt was made to move it, and its parts were incorporated into several buildings around Arden. The new school operated until June 2001 when students began to be bused to Neepawa.
A monument commemorating the Arden school was dedicated at a ceremony on 14 October 2007. Its base is constructed from locally made concrete blocks recovered from a nearby derelict farmhouse.
Among the other teachers at Arden School were Hugh McCamis (1887), Jean Isabel Wellwood, John E. Ridd (1920s), Karl E. Chambers (late 1920s), John Maxwell “Jack” McGilvray (1930-1934), Margaret Eames (early 1940s), Mrs. H. Thompson (1953), A. E. N. Carnochan (1956-1957), and Ruth Emisch (1967-1973).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Langruth news,” Portage la Prairie Leader, 3 September 1953, page 11.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Over the Rainbow: Memories of a Country School Teacher by Ruth Emisch, 1993.
“Keep in touch” by Keith Boughton, Retired Teachers Association of Manitoba, Winter 2008, www.ardenmb.ca/history/schoolcairn.htm.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 September 2021