Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: River East Collegiate (295 Sutton Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The River East Collegiate was built in 1960 based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. It opened to students on 20 December 1960, who had previously been attending staggered classes at the East St. Paul Collegiate. The River East School Division facility, built at a cost of $508,970, had 15 classrooms, auditorium/gymnasium, commercial rooms, home economics rooms, shops, and an assortment of additional rooms. It was opened officially on 27 February 1961. The original structure was expanded greatly in 1963, adding 20 classrooms, two commercial rooms, one laboratory, and increased automotive shops space. The expanded facility opened in late November 1963.

In June 1990, the River East Collegiate Student Association erected a monument in front of the school in honour of late Principal J. Bruce Brown.

Principals

Period

Principal

1961-1981

Alexander J. “Alex” Smaluk (c1921-2016)

1981-1985

James Bruce Brown (c1940-1985)

1985-?

?

?-?

William “Bill” Welsh (1936-2017)

?-2015

?

2015-?

D. Posthumus

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

?-?

Joseph Anthony “Joe” Degen (1929-2016)

Teachers

Among the other teachers of River East Collegiate were Peter Jacob Olchowecki (1961-1974) and Harold Melville Stinson (?-1969).

Photos & Maps

Entrance to River East Collegiate with commemorative monument
for Principal J. Bruce Brown

Entrance to River East Collegiate with commemorative monument
for Principal J. Bruce Brown
(October 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.94304, W97.08108
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“River East School Division No. 9,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 November 1960, page 29.

[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 25 February 1961, page 6.

“Know your Principal,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 May 1964 page 3.

“Male lead Mike finds lost chord,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 February 1967, page 21.

“Students not rushing to bars at noon, Syms says,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 March 1977, page 4.

“Staggered classes set at East St. Paul Collegiate,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 August 1960, page 48.

“River East School Division No. 9 public notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 September 1962, page 36.

“Many suburban acclamations but bylaws may lure voters,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1962, page 3.

“Tenders - addition to River East Collegiate,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 February 1963, page 36.

New River East Collegiate addition opening Friday,” [newspaper clipping], November 1963. Jim Smith / MMC Alumni.

We thank Jim Daher for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 February 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.