Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rapid City School No. 124 (Rapid City, RM of Oakview)
Designed by Brandon architect W. A. Elliott and built in 1902, the Rapid City School replaced an earlier school in Rapid City established in 1881. It became Rapid City Consolidated School No. 2392 in January 1961, combining Rapid City School with several rural schools, including Little Saskatchewan School No. 134, Wallace School No. 405, McBride School No. 558, Centreview School No. 858, and Oakleigh Union School No. 914. In 1968, it joined Rolling River School Division. After the school closed, it was used as a local museum and cultural centre until around 2004. It became a municipally-designated historic site in 2014.
A plaque erected on the school grounds by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba commemorates Frederick Philip Grove, who taught at various schools in south-central Manitoba before moving to Ontario in 1929. He is buried in the southwest corner of the Rapid City Cemetery.
Among the other teachers of Rapid City School was Effie Weir (early 1920s).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Rapid City school board requires two teachers,” Rapid City Reporter, 28 April 1966, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rapid City and District - Our Past for the Future, Rapid City Historical Book Society, 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 March 2016
Back to top of page