Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


MHS
Fall 2018
Field Trip


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: John Taylor Collegiate (470 Hamilton Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

In October 1963, local voters approved a proposal to construct a new high school, named in commemoration of local settler John Taylor, in this area of Winnipeg to alleviate overcrowding at Westwood Collegiate. The proposal had a budget of $984,000 and called for a structure containing 24 classrooms, four science laboratories, three commercial rooms, three home economics rooms, three industrial arts rooms, a library and guidance rooms, two music and audio-visual rooms, an art room, and an auditorium. The architectural firm of Herman and St. Lawrence was hired and the Winnipeg Construction Company commenced construction in March 1964.

Teachers at Westwood Collegiate were given the option of transferring to the new John Taylor Collegiate, along with Vice-Principal Doug Bridge, for the fall of 1964. Five teachers accepted the offer along with eleven new teachers. The first year of operation had five grade 9 classes, four grade 10 classes, and one grade 11 commercial class.

Principals

Period

Principal

1964-1981

Douglas Ernest Bridge (1921-2015)

1981-1990

John Walter Atamanchuk (1930-2009)

1990-1994

Christopher Shaughnessy O’Grady (1939-2017)

1994-1996

?

1996-1998

Elizabeth Kozak

1998-2004

?

2004-2006

Glen Bennett

2006-2015

?

2015-2016

Scott Lockhart

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1969-1970

Mr. N. Maxwell

1970-1971

Jack Carnegie
Roseanne Keyes

1971-1972

Jack Carnegie

1972-1973

Wally Linton

1973-1977

Abram William “Abe” Krahn (1923-2016)

1977-1978

Wally Linton
Abram William “Abe” Krahn (1923-2016)

1978-1979

Wally Linton
William “Bill” Moore

1979-1980

William “Bill” Moore
Don Loadman

1980-1983

William “Bill” Moore
John Carlyle

1983-1985

Ross Narick
Glen Bennett

1985-1986

Glen Bennett

1986-1987

Gary C. Hamilton
Thaddeus Edward “Ted” Witoski (1932-2014)

1987-1988

?

1988-1989

Fred Bilous
William “Bill” Cann
Gary C. Hamilton

1989-1990

William “Bill” Cann
George Dyker
Gary C. Hamilton

1990-1991

William “Bill” Cann

1991-1996

?

1996-1998

Dick Monk

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1964-1965

Claude Desrosiers, Paul Granovsky, Norm Houck, Gerry Moore, John Proudfoot

Photos & Maps

No photo is available for this site. If you can provide one, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89088, W97.31280
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

A History of John Taylor Collegiate, 1964-1975, St. James Assiniboia School Division.

We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 March 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.