Memorable Manitobans: Teenie Evelyn Kozier [Koziar] Kozyra (1908-1964)
Born in the Ladywood School District of the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead on 1 March 1908, daughter of Wasyl “William” Koziar (c1865-1925) and Ahafia [Anastasia] “Hannah” [Dumanski] Domeyska (1863-1932), she grew up on the family farm on the south half of Northeast 24-14-7 East and earned BA (1956) and BEd degrees from the University of Manitoba. Her 36-year teaching career included service at Happy Thought School (1925-1926), White Poplar School (1926-1933), Libau East School (1940), and Brokenhead School (1940-1952; Principal 1944-1952) before joining the Winnipeg School Division, teaching at Machray School (1954-1956), Hugh John Macdonald School (1956-1959), and Elmwood High School (1959-1962). On 4 February 1928, she married Stephen Nicholas Kozyra (c1906-1984) at Winnipeg and they had one child, Nadia Kozyra (wife of Thomas Mann). She was a member of the Manitoba Teachers’ Society and University of Manitoba Alumni Association. She died at the Winnipeg General Hospital on 12 November 1964 and was buried in the Glen Eden Memorial Gardens.
Birth [Tekla Koziar & John Kozier], marriage [Tennie Evelyn Kozier], and death [William Koziar & Ahapha Koziar] registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Death registrations [John William Kozier & Antony William “Anton” Kozier], British Columbia Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census [Tenza Koziers], Automated Genealogy.
Winnipeg estate file #17630, William Koziar, Archives of Manitoba.
“Here are the graduates [Bachelor of Arts],” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 May 1957, page 16.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 13 November 1964, page 43.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 14 November 1964, page 38.
Winnipeg estate file #2038/64, Teenie Evelyn Kozyra, Archives of Manitoba.
Obituary [Peter William Koziar], Brandon Sun, 24 March 1964, page 15.
Obituary [Stephen Nicholas Kozyra], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 January 1984, page 41.
They Stopped at a Good Place: The History of the Beausejour, Brokenhead, Garson and Tyndall Area of Manitoba, 1875-1981, page 843. Beausejour-Brokenhead Historical Committee, 1982. Manitoba Legislative Library F5648.B76.
We thank Leonard Mariash for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 July 2020