Manitoba Organization: Manitoba Teachers’ Federation / Manitoba Teachers’ Society
Founded at Winnipeg on 22 April 1919, the aim of the Manitoba Teachers’ Federation was to promote the interests in teachers in rural and urban schools throughout Manitoba. It arose from a meeting held at the Central Normal School in July 1918, organized by Belmont teacher Winfred E. Marsh, and attended by John M. Nason of Deloraine, William J. G. Scott of Roland, Herbert W. Huntley of Winnipeg, and Edgar K. Marshall of Portage la Prairie. In 1942, it was renamed the Manitoba Teachers’ Society.
“Oliver is named as new president of teachers’ body,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 April 1933, page 3.
The History of the Manitoba Teachers’ Society by Haraldur Victor Vidal, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1958.
“Manitobans at Teacher Conference,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 August 1967, page 24.
“Teacher resignations down: report,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 August 1968, page 46.
“Sister Pearl Gervais,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 April 1970, page 3.
“Edward Kowalchuck,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 1970, page 44.
We thank James Arnett, Nathan Kramer, and Mireille Theriault for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 March 2023