Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hydro Substation No. 5 (Scotland Avenue, Winnipeg)
This brick building at the southwest corner of Scotland Avenue and Stafford Street in Winnipeg, measuring 56 feet by 86 feet, was built in the fall of 1919 by the construction firm of Hazelton and Walin at a cost of about $35,000. It was to be used by the Winnipeg Hydro-Electric System, forerunner of Winnipeg Hydro, as its Substation No. 5. In 1930, a one-storey addition, measuring 29 feet by 58 feet, was made to the west side by the Malcom Construction Company at a cost of about $8,200.
A 60,000-volt transmission line from the Rover Avenue Electric Terminal delivered electricity here for distribution to homes and businesses in this area. Construction of a 30,000-volt transmission line to carry electricity westward to Portage la Prairie occurred between October 1919 and August 1920, the beginning of an electric transmission network that would eventually span the province.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 138/1919, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Tenders close March 24, at 3 o’clock,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 March 1919, page 5.
“Expects provincial power plant to be in operation by Dec. 1,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1919, page 10.
“Ensuring continuity of service,” The Dotted Line, April 1926, page 10. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
“To construct addition to Scotland Ave. Sub-Station,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 May 1930, page 28.
“Permits shoe steady growth in present week,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 June 1930, page 34.
Memorandum Relating to the Manitoba Power Commission, no date, Manitoba Legislative Library.
25th Annual Report of the Manitoba Power Commission, 1944, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Fort Rouge Neighbourhood Walking Tour, City of Winnipeg, 1994.
We thank Bruce Owen and Jason Perrett (Manitoba Hydro) for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 26 November 2023